- Palmer, H.M., V.P. Vriesman, R. Banke, J.R. Bean. 2022. Compilation of a database of Holocene nearshore marine mollusc shell geochemistry from the California Current System. Earth System Science Data, 14(4): 1695–1705. Read it
- Eerkens, J.W., J.S. Rosenthal, J.R. Bean, H.J. Spero, N.E. Stevens, and G.R. Burns. 2020. Marine shell artifacts from Monitor Valley. In D.H. Thomas, Alpine archaeology of Alta Toquima and the Mt. Jefferson tablelands (Nevada): 729–742. Anthropological Papers of the American Museum of Natural History 104.
- Arlidge, S. M., A. Thankos and J.R. Bean. 2017. Using the Understanding Science flowchart to illustrate and bring students' science stories to life. Bulletin of the Ecological Society of America. 98:211-216. Read it
- Swezey, D.S., J.R. Bean, A.T. Ninokawa, T.M. Hill, B. Gaylord, and E. Sanford. 2017. Interactive effects of temperature, food and skeletal mineralogy mediate biological responses to ocean acidification in a widely distributed bryozoan. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences; 284 (1853): 20162349 DOI:10.1098/rspb.2016.2349
- Bean, J.R. and G.J. Vermeij. 2016. Califostoma: A new genus of Neogene muricid gastropods from the northeastern Pacific and its relationship to the living South American genus Crassilabrum. Vita Malacologica. 15: 1-6