- Tree of Life
- Organized by the Maddisons, this is an attempt to have the entire phylogeny
of life on earth (as currently understood) on-line and accessible to
everyone. The site has many pages on fish and arthropods, with more
coverage being added all the time.
- Fledgling project to establish a relational database of phylogenetic
information, especially published trees and data matrices. The project
has begun by concentrating on green plant data (particularly angiosperms),
but hopes to eventually include studies on all organisms, based on all
types of data.
- UCMP Phylogeny Exhibit
- Educational exhibit on the major groups of life on earth, with information
about the fossil record, ecology, morphology, and systematics of each group.
Also try the UCMP WebLift to Taxa,
which is an index to all groups currently treated.
- This site allows you to
search and download registered gene sequences, with information on the gene's
function, and the organism in which it was found.
- Image Library of Biological Macromolecules (IMB Jena)
- Includes RNA and protein structures, some with VRML versions
- Immunogenetics Database
- International database specializing in immunoglobulins, T-cell receptors, and major histocompatibility complex molecules of all vertebrate species
- Oligonucleotide Probe Database
- Downloadable data, mailing list and discussion
- Ribosomal Database Project (RDP-II)
- Offers ribosome related data, analysis services, and software
- Offers access to major sequence and molecular structure databases, as well as programs
- Annotated protein sequence database
- Approved Lists of Bacterial Names
- Searchable database
- Gray Herbarium Card Index
- Searchable version of the valuable Gray Index, including New World
vascular plant taxa at the level of species and below
- Index Nominum Genericorum (Plantarum)
- Searchable database of generic names for all organisms covered by the
ICBN (International Code of Botanical Nomenclature), including bryophytes,
algae, fungi, etc.
- Index Virum
- Collection of index files which link to lists on viral nomenclature
- Indices Nominum Supragenericorum Plantarum Vascularium
- Searchable database for vascular plant taxa names above the generic level
- International Organization for Plant Information
- International Plant Name Index
- Internet Biodiversity Service
- Includes the data for Species 2000, UNESCO, and IOP
- Mammal Species of the World
- Searchable database of all currently recognized species of (living) mammals,
with data on each species
- PLANTS Projects Databases
- Collection of US databases of the North American flora. Includes the
Interagency Taxonomic Information System (ITIS).
- Species 2000
- A British attempt to index the scientific names of all known species