Curator/Professor of the Graduate School
Jere Lipps works on both modern and fossil marine organisms, protists in particular. His research in marine geology, marine biology, and paleontology takes him from the tropical to the Antarctic seas as well as fossil deposits in the Galapagos Islands, Russia, China, Western North America, Mexico, New Zealand, and elsewhere.
"So many things we do daily could be re-expressed as science, for science is a method of exploring our surroundings and a model for intelligent living, not technological gadgets, mundane facts, or highfalutin ideas. Everyone already does science; they just don't recognize it. The scientific process is a delight. It's fun and it's glorious!"
- Ghiselin, M., and J.H. Lipps. 2019. The Sea Slug Phanerophthalmus luteus (Gastropoda: Opisthobranchia) and its habitat and ecology at the marine Jellyfish Lake (Ongeim’l Tketau), Palau, Western Pacific Ocean. Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences. Series 4, Volume 65, No. 8, pp. 181–194, 8 figs., 2 tables.
- Lipps, Jere H., 2018. Natural History Museums: Facilitating science literacy across the globe, in Rosenberg, G.D., and Clary, R.M., (Eds). Museums at the Forefront of the History and Philosophy of Geology: History Made, History in the Making: Geological Society of America Special Paper 535, p. 9–33, https://doi.org/10.1130/2018.2535(02). Read it
- Newland, M., S. Pentney, R. Franklin, N. Tipon, S. Steinruck, J. Pedersen-Guzman, and J.H. Lipps. 2017. Racing against time: Preparing for impact of climate change on California’s archaeological resources, In: Dawson, T., C. Nimura, E. Lopez-Romero, and M.-Y. Daire, Eds., Public Archaeology and Climate Change. Havertown, PA, Oxbow Books. Chapter 13, pp. 115-125.
- Lipps, J.H., R. Lozinsky, J. Pedersen-Guzman, E. Scott, and L. Babilonia. 2017. Geology, stratigraphy, and paleontology of the Santa Ana Mountains, California, In Kraatz, B., J.S. Lackey, J.E. and Fryxell, eds., Field Excursions in Southern California: Field Guides to the 2016 GSA Cordilleran Section Meeting: Geological Society of America Field Guide 45, p. 31–47.
- Lipps, J.H. and G.D. Stanley. 2016. Reefs through time: An evolutionary view. Pp. 175-196, In Hubbard, D., C. Rogers, G. Stanley, J.H. Lipps, (Eds)., Reefs at the Crossroads. Dordrecht, Springer Science+Business Media.
Phone: (510) 642-9006