Curator/Professor of the Graduate School
Jere Lipps works on both modern and fossil marine organisms, protists in particular. His research in marine geology, marine biology, and paleontology takes him from the tropical to the Antarctic seas as well as fossil deposits in the Galapagos Islands, Russia, China, Western North America, Mexico, New Zealand, and elsewhere.
"So many things we do daily could be re-expressed as science, for science is a method of exploring our surroundings and a model for intelligent living, not technological gadgets, mundane facts, or highfalutin ideas. Everyone already does science; they just don't recognize it. The scientific process is a delight. It's fun and it's glorious!"
- Lipps, J.H. 2023. Lake Merritt, Jewel of Oakland. Charleston, South Carolina, Arcadia Publishing, 128 pp.
- Lipps, J.H. 2023. John Anthony Van Couvering, B.A., M.S., Ph.D, 1931-2023. Geologist, Stratigrapher, Paleontologist, Geochronologist, Archaeologist, Editor, and Publisher. Journal of Foraminiferal Research, v. 53, No. 4,
- Lipps, J.H. 2023. "It is not an insuperable difficulty that Foraminifera have not progressed in organization since even the Laurential epoch; for some organisms would have to remain fitted for simple conditions of life, and what could be better fitted for this end than these lowly organized Protozoa?“ Charles Darwin, 1872. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 55, No. 6, 2023.
- Lipps, J.H. 2022. The University of California Museum of Paleontology. Charleston, South Carolina, Arcadia Publishing, 128 pp.
- Ávila, S.P., R. Ramalho, C. Marques Da Silva, M.E. Johnson, A. Uchman, B. Berning, R. Quartau, P. Madeira, C.S. Melo, A.C. Rebelo, L. Baptista, S. Arruda, E. González, M.W. Rasser, A. Hipólito, R. Cordeiro, R. Meireles, V. Raposo, J. Pombo, R. Câmara, L. Silva, M.X. Kirby, J. Titschack, J.M. Habermann, R. Vullo, A. Kroh, J.H. Lipps, M. Cachão, J. Madeira. 2022. Os fósseis de Santa Maria (Açores).2. Pedra-que-pica: uma história com 5 milhões de anos. OVGA - Observatório Vulcanológico e Geotérmico dos Açores, Ponta Delgada. 160 pp.